A lot more horses are now diagnosed with PPID than there were ten years ago. So many more that some people label PPID as a hype. Yet this is not justified.
- Firstly, the clinical signs of PPID are no longer attributed to the normal aging process.
- The willingness of horse owners to monitor and improve the health of older horses has increased considerably in recent years.
- Veterinary care for older horses has improved in line with this.
- Veterinary science is giving more and more attention to PPID. Research results are now accessible to a wide audience.
- Finally diagnostic methodology has improved.